Yongcheonsa Temple

Yongcheonsa Temple

Yongcheonsa.jpg
  • Yongcheonsa1.jpg
  • Yongcheonsa2.jpg
  • Yongcheonsa3.jpg
Address1375-9 Heolti-ro, Gakbuk-myeon, Cheongdo-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Contents

An old temple of the millenium, one of the top ten temples belonging to Hwaeom Order in the Unified Silla Dynasty

Originally named Okcheonsa, this temple is located in Mt. Biseulsan and was established by Buddhist priest Uisangbeopsa in the 10th year of King Munmu’s reign (670). Later in 1267 (8th year reign of Goryeo Kingdom’s King Wonjong), Ilyeonseonsa reconstructed the temple and changed its name to Burilsa, then again to Yongcheonsa Temple.
During the Joseon Dynasty, Buddhism was suppressed while Confucianism was praised, and thus Yongcheonsa was left to decay. Then in 1592, when Japan invaded Korea, the temple was completely ruined, and in 1631, Buddhist priest Yeongjodaesa re-erected the temple. Finally in 1805, it went through another set of repair by Hwaju Uiyulhwasang and acquired its current appearance.