Jagyeseowon (Academy)

Jagyeseowon (Academy)

Jagye.jpg
관련된 이미지가 없습니다.
Address62-2 Seowon-gil, Iseo-myeon, Cheongdo-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Contents

A historiographer's spirit of straight reporting in the face of death

This academy was erected to honor the learning and virtues of Kim Il-son (1464~1498), a civil officer and scholar in the early Joseon Dynasty. The institution was first established in 1518, and was named Ungye Seowon. In 1578, it was renovated and was burnt down later during the Japanese Invasion. Once again, the academy was rebuilt in 1615. The institution was named "Jagye" by the king, who sent a board with the name written on it.

The name of Jagye originated from the tale that in the stream of Kim Il-son's home town, red water flowed for three days after he was killed in the calamity of scholars called Muo Sahwa (1498). "Jagye" means "red valley".

In the grounds of the Seowon, twelve buildings are laid out neatly with Boindang, the auditorium hall at the center. Three of the twelve buildings are designated as cultural assets: Yeongguiru, Dongjae and Seojae. Yeonggwiru is the building where various events of the academy were held and its Confucian students relaxed and enjoyed the poetic and refined pastimes. Dongjae and Seojae are the buildings that were used as dormitories. In particular, the architectural style of Dongjae, Ungye training building is rarely found in any other place than in Cheongdo, and thus holds great value.

There is a 500-year-old ginkgo tree of Kim Il-son's own planting. This academy houses various old collections of works including Yeonryeosil Gisul (Writings by Yeonryeosil). A kind of string instrument, the Chilhyeongeum is handed down as a representative relic. Memorial services are conducted in February and August of each year.