Jeokcheonsa

Jeokcheonsa

Jeokcheonsa.jpg
  • Jeokcheonsa1.jpg
  • Jeokcheonsa2.jpg
  • Jeokcheonsa3.jpg
Address304 Wondong-gil, Cheongd-eup, Cheongdo-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do
Phone82-54-373-0307
Contents

A Buddhist temple noted for protecting the nation

In the 4th year of Silla Dynasty’s King Munmu (664), Buddhist priest Wonhyodaesa established Jeokcheonsa Temple as a cave, and later in the 3rd year of King Heungdeok’s reign (828), Simjiwangsa, the King’s third son, continued the construction. Later in the 5th year of Goryeo’s King Myeongjong (1175), Bojoguksa renovated and enlarged the temple that accommodated 500 guests. However, during the Japanese Invasion of 1592, the temple was burned down, and then repaired in the 5th year of King Heonjong (1664). It was renovated once again in the 20th year of King Sukjong (1694) by Taeheoseonsa, but it was again burned down during the Japanese occupation period for it was a base camp for independence movement activists. Currently, the Daeungjeon Hall, the Buddha statue and the Buddha portrait were transferred from Ongnyeonam Hermitage.